Economy-wide analysis of food waste reductions at NUTS II level for the EU (FoodWaste)
European Commission represented by Joint Research Centre (JRC)
August 2017 – June 2018
Under the Framework contract for ENgAGE (Expert Network for Agro-Economic modelling) represented by Wageningen Economic Research (formerly LEI) and legally Stichting Dienst Landbouwkundig Onderzoek, Wageningen
EuroCARE GmbH is coordinating with key expert Wolfgang Britz and subcontractors
- Prof. Dr. Luca Salvatici and Dr. Ilaria Fusacchia, University Roma Tre
- Prof. Dr. Roberto Roson, Università Ca' Foscari di Venezia,
- Prof. Dr. Maria C. Latorre, Universidad Complutense de Madrid,
- Dr. Yaghoon Yafari, Bonn University
Building on previous work on food waste (Britz, Dudu, Ferrari 2014) the project provides a coherent and exhaustive analysis of economy-wide impacts of food waste reduction policies and their costs on the EU and member state economies at the NUTS2 level, organised in the following main tasks:
- Code development, scenario design, regional impacts using CGEBox.
- Application of different market specifications for international trade: (1) Standard Armington with a a two-stage Armington structure ((a) domestic sales versus imports, (b) substitution between different importers (c) infinite transformation on the supply side). (2) As #1 plus a CET on the supply side with the same two nests. (3) A Melitz specification for selected industrial sectors, with #2. for the remaining sectors (4) As #3, additional with a bilateral MRIO differentiation.
- Production and resource use: The consortium implemented different production structures in the model to see the implications of assumptions on production nesting on the results especially in the context of resource use (such as impacts on GHG emissions, land use, water resources etc…).
- Impacts for trade in Value Added: CGEBox comprises already simplified trade in value added indicators which has been re-assessed for the study. The indicator benefits from MRIO shares provided by the OECD as used in the METRO model.
Contributions of EuroCARE
All tasks performed by EuroCARE experts with Wolfgang Britz contributing to all tasks. Key contributions for production and ressource use by Roberto Roson and for trade in value added by Luca Salvatici and Ilaria Fusacchia.