EU economy-wide climate mitigation modelling
EUClimit-I: "Development and application of EU economy-wide climate mitigation modelling capacity (all greenhouse gas emissions and removals)"
EUClimit-II: "Modelling of EU climate policies"
EUClimit-III: "Modelling of EU climate policies"
EUClimit-IV: "Assessment of EU Climate Policies in a EU mid-century perspective"
EU Commission, DG CLIMA (climate action)
EUClimit-I: September 2011 – January 2014
EUClimit-II: July 2014 – May 2016
EUClimit-III: January 2016 – December 2017
EUClimit-IV: November 2017 – November 2019
Project leader: ICCS (Institute of Communication and Computer Systems of the National Technical University of Athens), Athens, Greece
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria
- EuroCARE GmbH
- Exergia (Energy and Environment Consultants), Athens, Greece
The EUCLIMIT projects always included the following tasks:
- Task 1: Improving the modeling tools and their linkages
- Task 2: Updating or constructing one or more baseline projections for greenhouse gas emissions, energy and land use in the EU Member-States and in candidate countries
- Task 3: Policy scenarios and sensitivity analyses to assess implications of climate policies (under EUCLIMIT-II including competitiveness and employment effects in the agricultural and forestry sectors)
- Task 4: Information for and interaction with Member-State experts and stakeholders.
Contributions of EuroCARE
The CAPRI model was used to provide livestock and fertiliser activity levels for GAINS, including model inputs taken from PRIMES-Biomass or from GLOBIOM. Under the EUCLIMIT-II amendment a set of co-ordinated carbon price scenarios has been prepared with GLOBIOM where CAPRI delivered the non-CO2 mitigation results. EUCLIMIT-III required an extension of the projection horizon to 2070 and a post-model reporting tool for agricultural activity changes in Iceland.
P. Capros, A. De Vita, N. Tasios, D. Papadopoulos, P. Siskos, E. Apostolaki, M. Zampara, L. Paroussos, K. Fragiadakis, N. Kouvaritakis, L. Höglund-Isaksson, W. Winiwarter, P. Purohit, H. Böttcher, S. Frank, P. Havlík, M. Gusti, H. P. Witzke: Reference Scenario 2013 - EU Energy, transport and GHG emissions, Trends to 2050, Publications Office of the European Union, 2013, ISBN 9789279337284, doi: 10.2833/17897.
P. Capros, A. De Vita, N. Tasios, P. Siskos, M. Kannavou, A. Petropoulos, S. Evangelopoulou, M. Zampara, D. Papadopoulos, L. Paroussos, K. Fragiadakis, S.Tsani, P. Fragkos, N. Kouvaritakis, L. Höglund-Isaksson, W. Winiwarter, P. Purohit, A. Gomez-Sanabria, S. Frank, N. Forsell, M. Gusti, P. Havlík, M. Obersteiner, H. P. Witzke, M. Kesting: EU Reference Scenario 2016 - Energy, transport and GHG emissions, Trends to 2050, Publications Office of the European Union, 2016, ISBN 9279523740, 9789279523748